Thursday, May 6, 2010

the mighty monster maker strikes out

I'm going to be very upfront. I'm not going to pulling punches. My instinct is to water down, look for the silver lining, make lemonade. But beyond a shadow of doubt George A. Romero's "survival of the dead" is the worst movie I've seen this year.

This is the part where I'm supposed to give a plot synopsis, talk about the characters, but really couldn't be bothered. This was a flat out bad movie.

I do a comedy show with a couple of awesome very funny guys, it's called " the Mr. smartass theater show", its a tribute to mystery science theater 3000. In preparation for said show I have had to sit through some of the worst movies of all time, you name it we have done it. ...

"plan nine from our space"
" white zombie"
"the boxer's omen"
suburban Sasquatch....... well you get the point some really horrible terrible irredeemable movies. It is with no level of exaggeration no amount of hyperbole when I tell you survival of the dead is as bad as any one of those movies (and not anywhere near as good as boxers Omen).

the acting was high school play quality
the script was a cliché ridden predictable jumble of contrivance.
The special effects were comically bad. DYS Photoshop iMovie CGI amateur hour (there were parts of suburban Sasquatch that looked more real)

I really wanted to love this movie and I really love George Romero. I think is the last of the filmmaking cowboys straight shooter and a freethinker, and as I was saying before my first instinct was to shy away from bashing this film, but I guess sometimes your heroes let you down. I really just keep hoping beyond hope the man whose films help shape my life (if you know me you know that's no exaggeration) will hit one more out of the park will be one more 90 minute marathon to cement a spot as the best of all-time. But perhaps that's never going to happen, maybe this was his last chance.

I know this isn't really a review. In fact it's sort of just a jumbled mess. felt obligated to get these words out and express how I really felt.

Disappointed.
letdown.
and short of irritated.

don't see this movie. Don't waste your time.

Oh, somewhere in this favored land the sun is shining bright,
The band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light,
And somewhere men are laughing, and little children shout;
But there is no joy in Mudville — mighty Casey has struck out.

No comments:

Post a Comment