Sunday, May 16, 2010

Nature trail to hell in 3-D ( and it's paved with good intentions and awful ideas)

In a disturbing bit of news I just ran across George A Romero is in negotiations to helm a 3-D remake of Dario Argento's deep red.

First off I'm incredibly oppressively sick of 3D. I saw one film in 3-D, the movie was bad,the 3-D Effects were stupid and the overall experience was awful. Now fans of the technology are immediately going to remind me of Cameron's avatar and of the new technology and how incredible 3-D can look now, but even the best advances in the medium will not eliminate the need for those annoying glasses and the irritation they would inflict upon me for 90 minutes.

Secondly am I the only one that's become more frightened of Georgie's input than I am excited. George just can't write dialogue anymore. The digital medium he is working in usually looks cheap and hankered. And most of all having to watch bad films by the man that is almost single-handedly responsible for you wanting to make films is like finding out you're adopted. Just don't, call it quits, please Mr. Romero Sir Call it quits.

Anyone who knows me knows my feelings on Argento, he was stunningly visual, one of the best eyes ever to interpret his vision to the screen, A mastodon of filmmaking who was incredibly detailed and innovative,working in a style that was a distinct calling card oozing innovation and craftsmanship that is unfortunately extinct in today's rapid-fire Multiplex industry. but in the interest of full disclosure for every great visual there was a mind numbingly bad plot point or or brain crushing breach of common sense. I just don't think he ever had a lot of plot going on, it just wasn't his priority, and in in the shoes string story that was there it almost never made a lick of sense. I don't think it would be unfair to say that Dario Argento was almost always 100% eye candy , but I digress.

At the end of the day it's not even that it's a remake (I'm certainly not as hung up on that and some of my other and friends and associates are) I just really think the whole thing is just a bad idea. The name "Deep red" is not an iconic enough horror title ( outside of horrordom anyway) that casual horror fans interests will be piqued upon assault of the trailer filled with WB teens and the Argento title tacked onto it. I guess I'm just really not sure who this is marketed to, the dynamos of the world who recognize the film aren't going to be jacked about another remake even one helmed by a horror icon, and as I was saying the casual fan isn't going to give a fark, so why? what's the angle? Where's the money? Who really cares?

Has the whole thing becomes so incestuous so cannibalistic that the gods of our own pantheon are now regurgitating there their peers work into our laps, are they so blinded by remake equals money that even we have become seduced by the chance of a wide opening (pun intended)And a huge paycheck. Does the double wide bandwagon with bumper stickers reading "remake" and "in 3D" look so fucking good we have to....WE NEED TO at take a ride on the thing.

I guess I could've stopped at "I don't get it".
I guess I could've stopped that "I don't care".
But hey it's in 3-D right that's pretty cool Huh?

2 comments:

  1. You know that I like Argento a lot more than you do and I do disagree with a lot of what you say in regard to him, but the fact remains that they are remaking a film that only has pull within the die-hard horror community. I think this whole thing speaks more to the fact that Hollywood fails to turn out original material so they are looking to prosper off the past. What they typically come up with is a bastardized version of the original that is both terrible and alienates the fans of the original even more. Hollywood should be taking chances on up and coming writers and directors to energize the film industry instead of pissing all over tombstones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. not all remakes are bad. you summed up my problem with the whole ordeal it's just Hollywood's lack of originality. They have the money to do whatever they want why not make a good , it's like making a good is an after thought. Would you market a soda with out taste testing it?

    ReplyDelete