Tuesday, October 20, 2015

The End of an era part 1

The Deadites have been having their Halloween Extravaganza for about 12 or 15 years (my memory ain’t so good).  Without going into a lot of details that aren’t mine to give, Lucky Dog Owner, former rival, and now dear friend Erik Godin had decided to sell the place.  There was the possibility at one point that the Halloween Extravaganza was going to be the last show under Old Man Godin’s management.  A little further down the line, I was told that we might the first big grand opening show under the new management regime.  I was a little nervous about that all along.

As promoters, Myra and I have had a couple of options; wait and find out what happens, which possibly leaves us without a place to play for Halloween if things go pear shaped.  Or try to shop the show to another club which in reality was probably the smart play.  We are worth a lot more as a fairly reliable band that is leaving its current home base under their own volition.  As opposed to a band that scrambling to find a new place to hold their most important show of the year.  Despite Myra’s opinion to the contrary my loyalty (see: fucking idiot).  I decided to wait and see what happened with the Lucky Dog.  The main problem was that between money exchanged, contracts being signed and licenses being distubted, there was a chance the club would not be re-opened in time to have the show.  All I asked for was a call or a text the moment it became mathematically impossible for the club to be open in time.  At 1am as I lay in the UMASS emergency room, I got a text that said “it’s mathematically impossible.  The club will not be open in time.”

No comments:

Post a Comment