Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Show Night our Set Part 2


Next up we were going to slow down a bit. Not too much, but a bit.


Aquphobic:

Aquphobic is my favorite Deadites song ever. I was always super proud of it. But once Donna Matrix starts to sing it it really lives up its potential.

It's the perfect confluence of performance and understanding. She is an amazing performer and she truly understands what the song is about. She siphons all the pain, confusion, heart and anger in the song, but knows where to lay on the lust and passion as well. The song has a very real, but very confusing message and it takes an incredible actress with a flair for acting to really nail it and she does it every time. This is also some of Tiny's more simple composition, but don't be fooled. As far as I'm concerned Aquphobic will go down as one of our most distinguished works. Very powerful while still retaining it's pop song radio playability.

Normally, I'd never touch anything that Oracle sings, but I am familiar enough with the chorus of this song that I had no problem singing it live.

I took the few moments that I wasn't singing to scan the crowd. I had hoped that the popularity of the Daredevil show on Netflix  had inspired a bunch of folks to dress like ninjas. I didn't see any, but with my luck and the way that the week had been going I was positive they weren't gone.


Double Damage:

So I wrote this song about a good friend of mine who went through some crazy health stuff and came out on the other end stronger and better than ever. It's my favorite song of the few we wrote for the new record.
Oracle usually sings the big monster outro. We asked Myra of The Evil Streaks to fill in because of her relationship with the lady that this song is about.  It was A ++.
A REALLY Special moment. I cried a bit. I love The Lady this song is about And I love Myra. What a great moment. 

Underground Sky:

As the legendary Niki Luprlii got on stage I jumped off.

It sucked not having Oracle,  but the undeniable chemistry between Donna and Nikki and the combination of their amazing voices was electrifying!

If Someone ever asks you what sexy is show them a video of these two on this night. Wow!!
My fandom of Donna Matrix is well documented. On the Dynamo sexy chart she is part of a 5-way tie with Scarlett Johansson,  Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Angela Betis and Ryan Gosling. I'm also a pretty big admirer of Ms Lipparelli. The two of them together? Let's just say I was mighty happy I wasn't wearing any tight leather rock 'n roll pants!

I feel like if you ask people what their two favorite songs are on "The Big Scary Monster Hunts At Midnight" Underground Sky is inevitably on the list. Again, we felt obligated to play it, but were terrified fuck up someone's favorite song. DM made the call to her buddy who happens to be a legit local legend and on little to no rehearsal (heavy on the no) they knocked it out of the park it bounced back again and they knocked it even further.

While this distracting display of super sexy was's going on I did what I normally do during this song while Im buying time till my rap outro to start, I wandered club shaking hands, hugging ladies, gave high fives. 

I looked up to the door and got an offer I couldn't refuse. One of the ninjas from before was gesturing me to follow him outside.
Was this a good idea? Nope! Did I dare? Does the pope shit in the woods?

As fast as my fat little legs could carry me I bolted out the side door. I wasn't surprised to find that there wasn't a ninja in sight. After all, that's what ninjas do, right? Disappear and  fade into the shadows, stuff like that.

"Heeeearrree ninjas! Come out, come out, wherever you ar..."

A bottle smashed over my head. Let me rephrase that, a bottle smacked me in the head. It didn't break until the second or third swing and by then I was on one knee.
I rolled forward and spun around. The bartender (the one who was at the back by where the ninjas had originally disappeared) was lunging at me with the sharp end of the broken bottle. When it was smacking me atop my head I had surmised it was a big bottle of red wine. I could also tell it was empty. I was right on both accounts. I threw an awkward combo roundhouse and uppercut. It landed squarely on her hand smashing the broken bottle sending shards into her fingers and palm. Yeah I could have just kicked it out of her hand but far be it from me to be to not be vindictive. I put her down with a kick to the knee followed by spin fist to the side of the head. Off balance she flew into the wall and slid down it in a heap.

I had about a second to feel bad about how brutal I had been when a hard kick between my shoulder blades sent me flying, I don't like hurting real, live people. I don't really like hurting anybody or anything, Ravenshadow not withstanding, but with the way this week had been going I didn't have time to be gentle, especially when someone leads with trying to split my head open.
I also found out quickly I didn't like fighting ninjas. I landed on my stomach and slid across the ground.

One of the other ninjas used my head like it was a springboard and flipped behind me, presumably next to his buddy. As I looked up the third assassin was seaking out of the alley in front of me drawing out what looked to be in almost Anime parody sized blade.

Donna and Niki we're heading into the last verse which meant I didn't have time for this.

The cheap looking, costume shop cliché ninja outfits were in total contradiction with how giant the sword was.

The swordsman moved in slowly. His prey was unarmed and hurt and he was playing with his food. Luckily for me and unfortunately for him I wasn't as stunned or unarmed as he thought I was. I never bring o'l Scourge on stage with me, Folks find a giant hand Cannon distracting but that didn't mean I came to the dance without my dancing shoes.   

I pulled the Simmerling from my ankle holster and three bullets later it was over. It ended faster than the bad joke making machine that made up over 75% of my brain could react. I got hung up in place in between a  LeeVan Cleef,  joke And a Raisers of lost Ark reference. The free comedy spilled out onto Green Street even though no one was alive appreciate it. Tough crowd. Inside Donna Matrix was trying her best to perform my part of the song. She was being a total pro, but I could tell how pissed she was. I jumped back on stage just in time for...


Trick or Treat Spy:

Niki belted out a perfect rendition of the spy who loved me! Great intro for what's probably in our top 2 most beloved songs of all time. This really goes over well live and tonight was no exception.

Too Ugly

We were in the home stretch.
The first song on our last EP Is a real crowd pleaser. Tiny does some amazing Keytar stuff during the live version of this. Ethan and Matrix teamed up to deliver a shattering version of the absent Kevin's chorus!

Covered In Blood:

We transitioned directly into our closing number. If you'd told me that Covered In Blood would become our most popular song I would've called you a nut. It's mid-tempo and features some dark, ghoulish subject matter and an even darker political subtext. But I'll be damned if people don't go crazy for this song. Folks love it. And the dual end chants of

"Victims? aren't we all?"

And

"covered in blood covered in blood covered in blood we'll all be covered in blood"

Yelled by a club of overjoyed maniacs has probably scared more than one hapless Greentree wander far away from the Lucky Dog Music Hall!!

And that's how one of the most special nights The Lucky Dog had ever seen ended. 

We said our goodbyes to our friends.

I told everyone about the ninjas, but Matrix didn't believe me. She figured I was just fucking around with some hot fan girl.



After the club was empty we all sat in a small office underneath the club and enjoyed each others company for a while. Tomorrow we would pay for for it, but on that late night/early morning we were a family enjoying our time together in this big bad crazy world


Start here





No comments:

Post a Comment